Tue., March 10, 2020
Dear Faculty, Staff, and Students,
The news of confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Harris County has undoubtedly left you anxious; I am, as well.
As always, the health and well-being of our college community remains paramount. I want to assure you that the risk at Lee College remains low, and to date no Lee College student or employee has tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19). While there have been reported cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Harris County, all of these reported cases involved international travel.
To address the emerging health and safety needs of the Lee College community, I formed a Crisis Management Team to lead Lee College’s response to the coronavirus (COVID-19).
The Crisis Management Team’s decisions are guided by the following priorities:
- Protecting the health and safety of the Lee College community while maintaining the ability to conduct our teaching mission.
- Basing decisions on guidance and information provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as well as the Houston Health Department and Harris County Public Health.
- Providing information and opportunity to allow people to make the best choices for their individual circumstances consistent with the college’s needs.
This group will work in collaboration with the Faculty, Staff, and Administrative Assemblies to ensure the health and well-being of the campus community is kept at the forefront of our response.
Please follow the precautionary measures from the CDC:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The CDC does not recommend that people who are well wear a face mask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Face masks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19, to help prevent the spread of the disease to others.
Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty. For information about handwashing, see the CDC’s Handwashing website. (https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/)
If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
Additional information about the coronavirus and Lee College’s response can be found at: http://www.lee.edu/coronavirus/
We will provide additional updates as the situation evolves over the next several days.
President, Lee College