The New Student Orientation (NSO) is designed to give the first-time-in-college (FTIC) student exposure and information about specific processes of the college and information on how to be successful as a college student.
Who must attend?
All first-time college students and previous dual/co-enrolled high school students planning to enroll at Lee College are required to attend New Student Orientation before they can register for classes.
What are the expected Learning Outcomes of the New Student Orientation Process?
The following are learning outcomes from the New Student Orientation process, which includes information during the individual advising sessions, the group session, and handouts provided.
These outcomes are based on faculty, staff, and student input. As new students complete their orientation experience, they should be able to demonstrate knowledge and awareness in the following areas.
- Begin to feel comfortable on campus and to know where they can go for help
- Gain insight and appreciation of:
- Campus resources and services available to them
- Financial obligations including the financial aid process and the total cost of attending college
- Success strategies including the importance of textbooks, time management, using faculty as resources, and self-advocacy
- The importance of dates and deadlines
- The process and importance of career exploration and/or how their education matches up with their career choice
- Begin to understand:
- Their MyLC Account and its various functions
- Their academic requirements and expectations that include understanding the catalog, degree or certificate plans, and graduation requirements
- Successfully complete:
- The registration process. Be able to log on to their account, register for classes, and utilize a variety of functions in their online account
What should I do before orientation?
Before attending orientation, you must:
- Complete and submit a Lee College application with official college or high school transcripts.
- Complete the online Pre-Advising Module, which will give you information on the process as a first time in college student
- Complete any testing requirements. (See an advisor or counselor for assistance.)
- Complete the Required Assessment — SmarterMeasure. You do not have to print your results. Advising staff can retrieve your results from a database.
- Meet with an advisor or counselor to be advised. At this meeting, the counselor or advisor will assist you in registering for an orientation.
If you have questions about orientation or getting started at Lee College, you can contact the Counseling Center at 281.425.6384 or e-mail a counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org. It is important to remember to start early in the registration process.
Orientation Packet Handouts
- PowerPoint Slides
- Automatic Payment Plan Information
- LC Language Handout
- LC Drug Policy
- My Planner Handout
- Campus Map
- Core Curriculum
- Forwarding LC Email Directions
- Campus Resources
- Options for Textbooks