Field of Study Curriculum for Speech Communication – SPC4
The Speech Communication Field of Study is designed to provide the appropriate curriculum for students transferring into a Bachelor of Arts program with a major in Speech Communications. The degree focuses on the scientific, humanistic, and critical study of human communication in a variety of formats, media, and contexts.
Major Courses (15 SCH)
• Historical, theoretical, and/or analytical competency (9 SCH)
- SPCH 1311 – Introduction to Speech Communication
- SPCH 1318 – Interpersonal Communication
- SPCH 2333 – Discussion and Small Group Communication*
• Writing/performance/production competency (6 SCH)
- SPCH 1321 – Business and Professional Communication
- SPCH 2335 – Argumentation and Debate*
*For class arrangements and availability, please contact the faculty representative.
Core (42 SCH)
• Communication Area Option requirement
- SPCH 1315 – Principles of Public Speaking Elective (3 SCH)
• Check with receiving university for transferability
Total SCH for the Speech Communication Field of Study = 60 SCH
Transfer students may be required to complete between 3 to 6 additional lower-division SCH in their major if the receiving institution has additional lower-division courses that are: (1) specific to any communication degree, (2) required of their native students, (3) needed for the successful completion of advanced coursework at that institution, and (4) not duplicative in content of any course in the applicable sub-area Field of Study Curriculum for Communication that the student already has completed.
Contact: Ray Whitlow at 281.425.6876, firstname.lastname@example.org, for specific degree information.