Members Present: Paul Arrigo, Kenneth Booker, Marice Ivey for Howard Bushart, Rosemary Coffman, Stewart Edwards, Joseph Ganakos, Michael Gos, Karen Guthmiller, Susan Hamby, Rod Hellyer, Cindy Lewis, Jimmy Lockett, Bob Slade, Donnetta Suchon.
Members Absent: Jill Curf, Roberta McClure, Jim Richardson, Doylean Sprauve, Dana Woods.
Meeting was called to order at 2:00pm.
1. Approval of Minutes: The minutes from February 15, 2011 meeting were approved as written.
2. Old Business: None
3. New Business:
• Steve Neihaus presented for Jennifer Herzberg. He proposed to add the following to the Fine Arts Humanities core requirement: ARTS 1311, ARTS 1312, ARTS 1316, ARTS 2346, ARTS 2356, ARTS 2313, ARTS 2326, ARTS 2333 and ARTS 2323. A motion to accept was made by Jimmy Lockett and seconded by Susan Hamby. After discussion, motion carried.
• Sharon Mullins discussed changes in the new federal regulations that will affect faculty and instruction. (See handout)
• Joyce Jacobs proposed discontinuing ESOL classes and removing them from the catalog. A motion to accept was made by Joe Ganakos and seconded by Bob Slade. Motion carried.
• Paul Lucke proposed the following Architecture curriculum changes:
a. Replace ARCH 1303 & ARCH 1304 with ARCH 1403 and ARCH 1404. Change lecture/lab hours from 3/3 (96 contact hrs.) to 2/7 (144 contact hrs.). A motion to accept was made by Joe Ganakos and seconded by Paul Arrigo. Motion carried.
b. Remove Pre- and Co-requisites of ARCH 2301 or ARCH 1307 and add Pre- and Co-requisite ARCH 1311 to ARCH 1303. A motion to accept was made by Joe Ganakos and seconded by Stewart Edwards. Motion carried.
c. Place ARCH 1403 & ARCH 1404 along with ARTS 1316 and ARTS 1317 in the first two semesters of the AA degree in Architecture. Place ARCH 1307 and ARCH 1308 in the last two semesters. Joe Ganakos recommended changing SPCH 1315 to any SPCH course that reflects core. A motion to accept was made by Jimmy Lockett and seconded by Karen Guthmiller. Motion carried.
• Michael Gos proposed the following changes to the CAAC Bylaws. Delete Pt. #1. Under Ad hoc members change (d) Dean of Student Services to read Associate Dean of Student Affairs. Joe Ganakos seconded the motion. This change in the bylaws will be voted on a second time at the next meeting.
• Michael Gos requested that a sub-committee be formed of 3 faculty members and the two deans to look into the current system or develop a new system on how to bring right information to the CAAC meetings. The three members are: Joe Ganakos, Bob Slade and Ken Booker. Michael Gos asked that Dr. Jeff Thies and Dr. Estelle Sit be included.
4. Open Forum
• Donnetta Suchon announced that warnings were being sent out to students with a GPA below 2.0.
• Michael Gos asked the division representatives that are scheduled to begin new terms in the fall to be sure to conduct their elections before the next CAAC meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 2:43pm.
Respectfully submitted, Approved by:
Susan Keith, Secretary Michael Gos, CAAC Chair