Drug Free Campus Committee
July 27, 2016
Amanda Summers, Human Resources Director; Zane Moseley, Student Activities; Ehab Mustafa, Veterans Center; Paige Sorge, Assistant Coach (volleyball); Marcus King, Assist Coach (basketball)
Dr. Rosemary Coffman, Associate Dean (Student Affairs); Howard Bushart, Allied Health Chair / Instructor; Adrian Touchstone, Student Ambassador; Amber Buras, Bay Area Council on Drugs and Alcohol; Aaron Crowell, Detective, Baytown Police Department; Mike Spletter, Student Activities Director; Laura Lane Worley, Sociology instructor; Velez, Security Captain
Review of Minutes from July 6
Approved as written.
The committee reviewed the most recent draft of the Biennial Review based on the suggestions from the subcommittee that met on July 6th. Specifically, they looked at the section reviewing the strengths, weaknesses, and recommendations for the next biennial period and made some minor changes and additions. Rosemary will update the draft. The committee members will continue to review the overall document for typos and other areas that needs to be clarified
Drug Free Campus Logo
The logo was again reviewed by the committee (with color copies provided) and Rosemary will submit the minor changes to our design people.
Professional Development Training
Since one of the recommendations for the Biennial Report was more education for faculty and staff, the committee suggested that we have a one-hour session during the professional development week activities open to all faculty and staff. The session will focus on the recognizing, responding, and referring students with alcohol and other drug issues along with other information on the drug-free campus committee initiatives. Rosemary, Amber, Laura, and Howard will be helping with the workshop. We are requesting an afternoon time on August 24.
Other Announcements / Events
- Amber will be attending the Higher Education and Prevention conference in Columbus Ohio in August. She will report on what she learns at the meeting at the September committee meeting.
- Howard is attending the State Summit of Texans Standing Tall next week. He will be participating with the SBIRT Focus Committee with that group.
- The DEA will have their summer meeting at the Houston Community College Campus on Friday. Howard will be attending. They will be discussing the documentary Chasing the Dragon.
- Aaron and Amber reported that the filming of the Last High Documentary continues.
- The next coalition meeting will be August 25 at 10:00 a.m. at the LaPorte Police Department. Any member of this committee is welcome to attend.
Our next meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 15 at 2 p.m.
Rosemary Coffman, PhD, CRC, LCDC
Dr. Rosemary Coffman, Associate Dean of Student Affairs