AOD Awareness Committee
January 14, 2016 Minutes
Dr. Rosemary Coffman, Associate Dean (Student Affairs)
Amanda Summers, Human Resources Director
Amber Buras, Bay Area Council on Drugs and Alcohol
Howard Bushart, Allied Health Chair / Instructor
Aaron Crowell, Detective, Baytown Police Department
Laura Lane-Worley, Sociology Instructor
Julie DeTorre, San Jacinto Methodist Hospital
Marti Covington, Lee College Marketing and Public Affairs
J.R. Velez, Security Captain
Hunter McHugh, Student Representative
Review of Minutes from December 9
Approved as written.
Smoke-Free Campus Discussion
The college sent out the new policy regarding the new smoking policy effective with the spring 2016 semester. Amanda was able to update the AOD statement to send out the changes to all faculty and staff. Rosemary will work on making sure the statement that is on the web will be updated as well.
Town Hall Meeting/ Synthetic Drugs
Detective Crowell and Amber reported on the progress made towards the Town Hall meeting scheduled for Thursday, February 18 in the Rundell Hall Conference Room.
- The flyer is in the last round of approvals and will be ready for distribution very soon. The electronic version will be made available to committee members representing different agencies who can make copies as needed.
- Jennifer will be writing an editorial in the Baytown Sun.
- Rosemary and Marti are working with our Public Information Office on the possibility of sending out postcards to current students.
- BACODA, Baytown PD, San Jacinto Methodist, and Lee College will share the information for their prospective social media people.
- Aaron will check with getting information on the government access channel, Channel 16.
- Channel 11 has already expressed an interest in covering the story
- It was suggested that a press release could be originated from Baytown PD or Lee College.
- • Other information
- Aaron will get pics of synthetic drugs as a display for the event
- Texas Pictures will create a slide show as a backdrop for the event.
- Amber presented a draft of the agenda. We have gotten confirmation from all invited. Rosemary will check with Dr. Brown to see if he would be able to do a short welcome for the event.
- Rosemary will send out a save the date to possible vendors. It was decided that we would limit the booths to treatment providers. In a separate email, she has sent out those that are on the list, asking for suggestions for others that may want to attend.
- The Lee College Health Fair will be Tuesday, March 29th. BACODA and Lee College will share a booth to represent this committee.
Our next meeting will be Tuesday, January 26th at 2 p.m. This meeting will be continued planning for the Town Hall event. Future meetings for the semester have not yet been determined.
Rosemary Coffman, PhD, CRC, LCDC
Dr. Rosemary Coffman, Associate Dean of Student Affairs