Hispanic Education Access and Completion Committee
The Hispanic Education Access and Completion Committee was formed in 1986 to encourage enrollment in higher education and the completion of degrees and certificates while preserving the Hispanic heritage through cultural programs. A nationally recognized volunteer organization under the leadership of Lee College, it sponsors programs and events for both high school and college students and their families to define the enrollment and registration process, available financial assistance and college expectations. Parent seminars are scheduled throughout the year to discuss opportunities, early success for college readiness, and college requirements.
- Third Tuesdays at 5:30 p.m.
- Oct. 21, 2014Jan. 20, 2015
- Feb. 17, 2015
- March 24, 2015 (4th Tuesday)
- April 21, 2015
- May 19, 2015
- (No meetings in December, June or July)
The 2015-16 planning meeting will be held at 9 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 5, 2015.
- Aug. 25-28, 2014 — Welcome Week (Lee College Campus)
- Sept. 15-19, 2014 — HSI Week (Lee College Campus)*
- Sept. 22, 2014 — Undocumented student seminar (tentative)
- Nov. 13, 2014 — Persistence Event: Freshman Follow-up (Lee College Campus)
- Dec. 12, 2014 — Fall Commencement (Lee College Arena)
- Jan. 12-15, 2015 — Welcome Week (Lee College Student Center)
- March 26, 2015 (tentative) — Persistence Event (Enrolling for Summer & Fall) (Lee College Campus)
- April 30, 2015 — Fiesta de Graduación
- May — Cultural Event at the Promise Center (to be determined)
Community Events of Interest
- Oct. 4, 2014 — Grito Fest, 4-8:30 p.m. (Baytown)
- Oct. 10, 2014 — El Segund, 6-10 p.m. (Promise Center)
- Nov. 14, 2014 — El Segund, 6-10 p.m. (Promise Center)
- Dec. 12, 2014 — El Segund, 6-10 p.m. (Promise Center)
- Feb. 14, 2015 — Hispanic Forum (George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston)
Parent College Workshops: Saturdays, 9:30-11:30 a.m. (tentative dates)
- Oct. 11, 2014
- Nov. 8, 2014
- Jan. 10, 2015
- April 11, 2015
HEACC Constitution and Bylaws
Article I. Name
The name of this organization shall be the Hispanic Educational Access and Completion Committee (HEACC) of Lee College.
Article II. Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be to:
- Encourage parent/family involvement in helping their children attain academic success.
- Increase community awareness on the value of an education.
- Promote educational, social, and cultural program in the Hispanic community.
Article III. Affiliation
This organization shall operate according to the regulations/policies of Lee College.
Article IV. Nondiscrimination
This organization shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or disability.
Article V. Membership
|Section 1 -||This organization shall be open to all Lee College students and the community.|
|Section 2 -||Members of this organization shall be voluntary participants in the organization activities.|
|Section 3 -||Membership attendance will be kept by the organization secretary.|
Article VI. Officers
|Section 1 -||The officers of this organization shall consist of:
|Section 2 -||Qualifications: committed, responsible, accountable and enthusiastic people.|
|Section 3 -||Term of officers: An officer shall serve a one year term beginning on June 1. Those officers that wish to keep their position for more than one term must be nominated by other members for re-election.|
|Section 4 -||Duties: the duties of the officers shall be as follows:President:
Article VII Elections
|Section 1 -||Elections of officers shall be held yearly.|
|Section 2 -||All current members are eligible to vote, however, they must be present at the meeting.|
|Section 3 -||Candidates for officers must be current members to qualify.|
|Section 4 -||All officers shall be elected by a majority of votes.|
Article VIII. Meetings
|Section 1 -||Regularly scheduled meetings will be held monthly.|
|Section 2 -||Regular meetings shall be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order.|
|Section 3 -||Officers shall convene into a special session at the discretion of the president.|
Article IX. Advisors
The Lee College president will appoint an employee to serve as a liaison between Lee College and HEACC.
Article X. Financial Provisions
|Section 1 -||Revenue Sources:
|Section 2 -||Budget:
|Section 3 -||The budget shall be managed and controlled by the Lee College liaison.|
Article XI. Amendments
|Section 1 -||Amendments to this Constitution and/or Bylaws shall be presented in writing in any meeting by any current member.|
|Section 2 -||After a review of the amendment or amendments by the president to ascertain that all is in order and no conflicts exist, the amendments(s) will be presented to the members at the following meeting.|
|Section 3 -||A majority vote of the present members will be necessary for approval of an amendment.|
|Section 4 -||A general revision of the Constitution and/or Bylaws, shall follow the same procedures set forth in Section1, 2, and 3.|