SACSCOC QUALITY ENHANCEMENT PLAN STEERING TEAM
April 23, 2015
8:00 a.m. – 4 p.m. JBH 123
- Review and approval of minutes from last meeting
No objections. Minutes of April 2 will be posted in Blackboard.
- Sub-team Reports
- Kemper reported that the deadline to have revisions to Apply Texas completed for the QEP cohort is September 1, 2015.
- DeDe Griffith reported that TG is gifting the CAEL portfolio software to all colleges in the Gulf Coast Consortium of Community Colleges.
- Temporary access will be available soon.
- ACTION: Dr. Kemper and DeDe Griffith will address questions that emerged regarding the software:
- Can we archive copies of the portfolios for assessment documentation?
- Is it user-friendly software?
- Can students access their portfolio after Lee College graduation?
- Can we configure the portfolios with sub-folders to categorize contents (core objectives, scholarships, certifications, licensures, student activities, PTK, etc.)
- Can we require students to upload files in PDF and MP4 formats only?
- Can we identify scanners on campus that students can use to convert graded documents to PDF?
- Can we purchase cameras to record student videos for storage in e-portfolios?
- LaKeisha Branch and Dr. Kemper indicated that there are reference materials already loaded on the Blackboard site.
- ACTION: Each committee member will locate reference materials that relate to the QEP and document that our methodology has been researched and found beneficial to students.
- We need to define levels of engagement for faculty advisors.
- ACTION: DeDe and Marissa will develop something regarding levels of involvement and have ready for next meeting.
- Marissa Moreno and DeDe Griffith presented that an effective use of LSSS/EDUC faculty would be to give them a course release in the spring to follow up with fall students regarding majors, program progress and general mentoring.
- They also suggested a faculty development program for new FT faculty and adjunct faculty that would prepare them to teach LSSS/EDUC courses, expanding our faculty pool. Dr. Kemper indicated that Amarillo College has already developed a faculty certification process that is approved by SACSCOC specifically for these student success courses.
- Year 1 new FT faculty engage in required professional development and certification to teach the courses.
- Year 2 new FT faculty teach LSSS and/or EDUC.
- Year 3 new FT faculty teach LSSS and/or EDUC and assist with professional development of new FT faculty.
- Training would need to start in Fall 2015.
- Adjunct faculty would complete a certification program to teach LSSS/EDUC.
- New QEP director will also need to go through certification process and teach LSSS/EDUC.
- A beta-testing group of 20-25 minority male students will be implemented in Fall 2015 to begin working through the implementation process for the QEP. A similar group may also begin in Huntsville.
- ACTION: Marissa and DeDe will follow up with the new Developmental Education division chair, Treva Askey, to create a detailed plan.
- ACTION: DeDe will talk with Donna Zuniga and Paul Allen about starting a group in Huntsville. It will not be part of the QEP.
Data, Visuals and Assessment
- Michelle Hernandez-Perez created a visualization of the QEP that drove most of the remaining discussion.
- The visual is attached, and because it is complex, not for distribution.
- Motivate students to complete the e-portfolios via:
- Competitive portfolio presentations with prizes.
- Grade portfolios as part of a capstone.
- Use contents to assess the core curriculum.
- Follow up with 2nd year orientation and review of e-portfolio contents in FACE Time meeting.
- Motivate FT and PT faculty use of portfolios by using faculty teams to evaluate student content as part of QEP assessment.
- Include the Weekend College Success Coach in all QEP training and assessment.
- Include pre- and post-video assignments where students can demonstrate development of a wide range of skills during the QEP.
- Include video resources needed for ATC 312, JBH 107, JBH 14, and Bonner Hall where students can create their videos.
- Include students as peer interviewers to conduct the videos.
- ACTION: Michelle Hernandez-Perez will develop a simple visual.
- ACTION: Joe Ganakos will develop a 1-minute elevator speech and a list of positive outcomes of the QEP (visualization of benefits).
- ACTION: Joe Ganakos and Dr. Kemper will meet with Carolyn Lightfoot to discuss technology needs for the QEP.
QEP Director Job Description
- Kemper shared an updated job description for QEP Director
- Fox and Lawson may dictate that this is a coordinator position.
- Add attendance at the SACSCOC Summer Institute as a requirement.
- Change higher education administrative or project leadership experience to 3-5 years.
- Add requirement of visiting off-site locations at McNair, Liberty and Huntsville.
- Add flexible working schedule with periodic weekend commitments.
- Add requirement to teach LSSS/EDUC and required certification.
- Add ability to walk about campus and carry 15-20 lbs.
- ACTION: Kemper will make final revisions and take the Position Request Form to cabinet on Monday, April 27, for approval and posting.
- ACTION: Kemper will form a hiring committee to begin reviewing candidates in June.
QEP Lead Evaluator Selection
- Kemper presented the Lead Evaluator description and indicated that she had already reached out to several community colleges to get suggestions for evaluators.
- ACTION: Dr. Kemper will work with purchasing to post the RFP by May 1.
2015 Institute on Quality Enhancement and Accreditation
- Kemper announced that there is some funding for conference registration.
- ACTION: Contact Dr. Kemper in the next week if you would like to attend the conference July 19-22 in Kissimmee, FL. Details about the conference are located at http://www.sacscoc.org.
Next Meeting: THURSDAY, MAY 7, 2015 – RUNDELL 107, AT 3 p.m.