Contracts are of two types: probationary and regular.
- Probationary Status- A faculty member shall be considered probationary during his or her first five years of institutional service; three of those years may be from other institutions of higher education. During the probationary period, he or she shall be awarded a one-year contract specifically identified as probationary. The Board shall approve contract terms. The probationary faculty member shall be evaluated annually, and he or she shall file with the division chair an annual self-evaluation. At the satisfactory completion of the probationary period, a probationary faculty member shall be advanced to regular faculty status, subject to the availability of funds, the availability of full-time work in the areas of responsibility, and/or the continuing satisfactory performance of persons recommended.
- Regular Status– A faculty member entering regular faculty status shall be recommended by the President to be awarded a three-year contract. This recommendation and the recommendation for the annual extension of the contract shall be based upon determination of satisfactory service and subject to the availability of funds, the availability of full-time work in the areas of responsibility, and/or the continuing satisfactory performance of persons recommended. Satisfactory service shall be determined by the Faculty Evaluation and Development Procedure.
The District has no tenure policy for faculty.
- Division Chair Status – Division chairs shall remain on the Faculty Salary Schedule with a probationary or regular faculty contract and shall receive an annual stipend for serving as Division Chair as specified by the Chair Letter of Appointment.
- Athletic Coaching Contract – The Athletic Coaching Contract is for the Academic year, beginning in August, and continuing for a period of nine months. Extension of the contract beyond the nine-month period will be on a week by week basis as the position demands up to a twelve-week maximum. The coach may receive additional teaching assignments and instructional sites as determined by the college administration subsequent to receipt of the coaching contract. In the event the coach should resign, or be removed from the coaching position, employment with Lee College will cease.
- Letter of Appointment
Employees on letters of appointment are employed for the period specified in the “Letter of Appointment” with no obligation on the part of the college to continue employment past the specified period.
B. Administrative/Administrative Support7
Contracts are of two types: probationary and regular
- Probationary Status — Administrative personnel shall be considered probationary during their first three years of administrative service. During the probationary period, they shall be awarded a one-year contract specifically identified as probationary. The Board shall approve contract terms. The probationary administrative staff members shall be evaluated annually, and shall file with his or her immediate supervisor an annual self-evaluation. The annual evaluation of administrative personnel shall be in accordance with the approved Administrative Evaluation and Development Procedure. At the satisfactory completion of the probationary period as determined through the aforementioned procedure, probationary personnel shall be advanced to regular administrative status. A person who has regular faculty status at Lee College and enters probationary administrative status shall retain the right to return to regular faculty status if a position for which he or she is qualified is available at the time he or she wishes to return to the classroom and provided the instructional dean gives a positive recommendation to the proposed change.
- Regular Status — Administrative personnel entering regular administrative status shall be awarded a three-year contract. Administrative support staff shall be awarded a one year regular administrative status contract when entering regular status. The Board shall approve contract terms. The regular administrative and administrative support status contracts may be renewed annually upon determination of continuing satisfactory service. Satisfactory service shall be determined by the Administrative Evaluation and Development Procedure. Employees having had faculty status who are promoted to regular administrative status shall upon being so promoted relinquish any contract rights to which they were entitled under faculty status and shall be employed in accordance with the administrative personnel policies and procedures.
- Letter of Appointment
Employees on letters of appointment are employed for the period specified in the letter of appointment with no obligation on the part of the college to continue employment past the specified period.
The College President or designated representatives shall be responsible for hiring non-contract employees with appropriate skills and qualifications to fill positions with the District.