Using this checklist will increase the likelihood of identifying reputable, authoritative, reliable websites.
- Who authored the site? What are this person’s/organization’s credentials?
- Who published the site? What type of entity is the publisher: commercial, educational institution, nonprofit organization, individual person, etc.?
- What is the main purpose of the site? How do you know?
- Who is the intended audience? How do you know?
- When was the web site published? Is it regularly updated? Is the information outdated?
- Does the author cite sources?
- What kind of web sites does the author provide links to? What kind of web sites link to the site you are evaluating?
- How does your answers above add up? Is the web site your are using appropriate for your assignment? Why do you think so?