The month of December means holiday season for cultures and religions around the world! Explore these resources to learn new information about better-known holidays like Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa, as well as some of the lesser-known celebrations, including Bodhi Day and Pancha Ganapati.
Featured videos from
Focus on December Holidays
- History of the Holidays
- Ever wonder why we celebrate a particular holiday? This website from the History Channel explores the history and current state of different holidays, including Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Valentine’s Day. With short videos about specific customs and traditions, infographics visualizing holiday-related data, facts, and articles, this website is full of interesting and useful information about our festivals and holidays.
- In Your Library: Holidays, Festivals, and Celebrations of the World Dictionary
- An ebook collection of holidays, festivals, commemorations, holy days, feasts and fasts, and other important days from different cultures and religions around the world. In addition to information on specific events, this ebook also has information on the variety of calendars used in the world, the major world religions, and facts about specific countries, which helps to give the cultural context of the holidays. Click on the title to access this ebook!
- BBC: Religions
- Learn more about the upcoming holidays and celebrations in cultures around the world! This website from the BBC has profiles of different religions with each profile containing information about beliefs, ethics, customs, holy days, subdivisions and more. In addition to the profiles, the BBC also has an interfaith calendar that lists important days for all faiths in one location.
- Global Road Warrior
- Interested in knowing more about the customs and traditions of a particular country or region? Global Road Warrior is a library database with country and regional profiles detailing information about demographics, language, and religion. It’s an excellent resource for anyone researching for travel or just wanting to learn more about the world.