Paraprofessionals in the healthcare industry assist doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and other medical professionals in providing patient care and related services in settings such as hospitals, pharmacies, medical labs, health clinics, schools, physician’s offices, nursing care facilities, and patient homes. They serve an important role in the healthcare field as they often work directly with patients, but may also assist with administrative duties and record keeping. They help patients feel well-cared for and perform routine tasks such as drawing blood, bathing patients, filling prescriptions, measuring and recording temperatures, blood pressure, and other vital signs.
Typically, students enrolled in these courses complete their training within only a few months and can increase their employability by obtaining a certification in their field of study. Some graduates choose to go straight into the workforce, while others continue on in pursuit of a degree in nursing or an allied health field, such as dental hygiene.
We currently offer the following courses, several of which have an online option.
- Clinical Medical Assistant (PDF)
- The Clinical Medical Assistant Program starts July 30 and runs through Feb. 28, 2019. Classes are held Mon. and Wed. nights from 6-10 p.m. at the McNair Center (Room 123). Cost: $2,330. Register in person at 909 Decker Drive.
- Dental Assisting (PDF)
- The Dental Assistant Program starts July 10 and runs through Sept. 11. Classes are held Tues. and Thurs. nights from 6-10 p.m. at the McNair Center (Room121). Cost: $1,969. Register in person at 909 Decker Drive.
- EKG Technician (PDF)
- The EKG Technician Program starts June 4 and runs through Oct. 17. Classes are held Mon. and Wed. mornings from 9 a.m.-12 p.m. at the McNair Center (Room 123). Cost: $882. Register in person at 909 Decker Drive.
- Phlebotomy Technician (PDF)
The Phlebotomy Technician Program starts June 4 and runs through Sept. 28. Classes are held Mon. and Wed. nights from 6-9:30 p.m. at the McNair Center (Room 121). Cost: $1,054. Register in person at 909 Decker Drive.
- Medical Administrative Assistant
- Medical Coding and Billing
- Pharmacy Technician
- Dialysis Technician
- Veterinary Assistant
In an effort to better serve student needs and interests, we offer programs along with our educational partners, CCI and Ed2Go. For a listing of those programs visit:
- CCI: www.healthedtoday.com/Splash-Page/The-Center-for-Workforce-and-Community-Development
- Ed2Go: www.ed2go.com/leecollege
Check Eligibility for Licensing Exams:
Students who have a felony conviction should check with the Program Manager of their program to determine if a licensing exam is required to be employed. Some examples include, but are not limited to, education, nursing, cosmetology, and technology programs. Legislative changes, specifically, HB 1508 from the 85th Texas legislative session section 53.151 (2017), require notification to applicants and enrollees regarding the consequences of a criminal conviction on eligibility for an occupational license. Students may be ineligible for an occupational license upon completion of a program due to prior convictions.