Campus SaVE Minutes — 3/6/2018

Campus SaVE Advisory Committee —
March 6, 2018

Members Present:

Co-Chair: Dr. Rosemary Coffman, Associate Dean, Student Affairs
Co-Chair: Amanda Summers, HR Director
Amanda Stevenson, Benefits Specialist
Cynthia Hill, Student
Amber Tempel, The Bridge
Howard Bushart, Chair, applied science
JR Velez, Security Captain
Mike Spletter, Student Activities Director
Dr. Laura Lane-Worley, Academic Faculty
Erika Castillo, Student
Jessica Thompson Falla, Advisor
K-Leigh Villanueva, Disability Services Counselor
Christopher McClure, Student Affairs Division Secretary

Absent:

Tyrone Smith, Academic Advisor
Jessica Bellant, The Bridge
Zane Moseley, Student Activities Secretary
Rosetta Mouer, Payroll Specialist
Dr. Donnetta Suchon, VP Student Affairs
Katrina Campbell, Student
Keith Coleman, Athletic Director
Brian Kelly, Student
Susan Smedley, Public Relations Director
Det. Iveleth Hernandez, Baytown Police Department
Marylou Ortuvia, Counselor, Process Technology
Alicia Garcia, Student
Keila Guevara, Student
Rhonda Drew, LSSS instructor

Minutes from January 25, 2018 – Approved as Written

I. Old Business

MOU Baytown Police Department – Det. Hernandez of the Baytown Police Department is now serving on the Campus SaVE Advisory Committee. We will be meeting with her on March 29 to discuss a possible formal agreement with the Baytown Police Department.

Blackboard and Campus SaVE – At previous meetings, it was suggested that Blackboard be used as a possible avenue to have information available to students. Since the last meeting, Laura reported that we could create a course in PeopleSoft that can be posted in Blackboard. It would be similar to the Library Resource course that is visible for all current students. With this course, a shell in Blackboard is created and a process is run to enroll students in the class. Scott Bennett is out for paternity leave but Laura will check with Carl. Once the shell is created, we need to decide what materials will go into the course.

II. New Business

III. The Use of Safe Colleges – We can implement a course under Safe Colleges for students which would be similar to the course that all staff must complete as part of their employment. The committee can recommend that this be required for all students (as a condition of enrollment) or to certain groups such as the students taking the Learning Strategies class. It was also suggested that we consider using Freshman Follow-Up as a source of having information available. Community Education has a Blackboard component for the EMT program that may be an example to follow. The Safe Colleges video can be sent out as a link or embedded in the Blackboard page. It was suggested that the link may be an easier way to reach the student (less clicks). Rosemary will investigate the possibility of sending the link out to the committee so they are able to see content and the process.

Website – The College has committed to updating the website. With many of the committee members on the website committee, we can play an active role in assuring that information on Campus SaVE is easily found on the website. It was also suggested that we ask that we have something on the web banner as well

Maxient – Amanda and Rosemary has started the process of ordering Maxient to replace Convercent as the online reporting tool for the College. The cost for the first year is $13,000 ($7000 for set up and $6000 for the annual fee). We will be committed to a 3-year contract with a cost of $6000 per year for the second and third year. Since the total commitment is $25,000, the proposal has to go to the President for approval. The Service Agreement is good until May 1 for the process to be approved.

IV. Outreach Activities

Spring Activities

  • Spring Fling – March 7 – Amber will have a table at the event. Erika and Laura will also help. Any of the other committee members who want to help are welcome. The time is 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
  • Health Fair (March 27) – Amber and Sandy from the Baytown office (The Bridge) will have a table set up. We would like someone from the committee to be there as well. The time is 1:30-3:30 p.m. Rosemary will send out a reminder before the event to recruit committee members to help out.
  • April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month – The Subcommittee met last week. The locations are still being finalized and a rough draft of the flyer has been sent in to Nicole in College Relations. A calendar of activities was provided to the committee which includes:
    • The showing of The Hunting Ground and T-Shirt creation for the Clothesline Project
    • Healthy Relationships Workshop (final one for this semester)
    • A Spike Lee Joint Improve and Panel discussion
    • Me Too Forum / discussion
    • What is Consent Panel and discussion
    • Denim Day booth and activity – collecting old jeans for the project
    • Take Back the Night with the walk, and a speak-out (Pizza from Student Activities)
    • Clothesline Project and Silent Witness Display (April 12-27)

V. Other Announcements / Open Discussion

  • Update on completed outreach activities for the spring semester:
    • We had a booth as part of the events for Valentine’s Day. It was well attended.
    • Rosemary and Bryan conducted a Title IX training on 1/29/18 for cosmetology. There were 34 students in attendance.
    • Amber had three Healthy Relationships workshops. The daytime sessions were well attended. There was no one attending the evening session. There is two more for the semester: March 21 (6:00 p.m.) and April 5 (2:00 p.m.) Rosemary will send out a reminder in hopes that instructors will send students.
    • There are 15 students participating in the Phase 1 prevention group, working with Laura’s social work class. Jessica B and Amber are using a new curriculum for this group. There are four active students in phase 2.

Next Meeting – Our next meeting will be Thursday, April 26 at 3 p.m.

Respectfully Submitted,

Dr. Rosemary Coffman
Rosemary Coffman, Associate Dean
Student Affairs

Amanda Summers
Amanda Summers, Director,
Human Resources