TRiO Student Support Services
- Transfer Assistance
- Graduation Assistance
- Registration Assistance
- Financial Aid Assistance
- Individual Education Plan
- Individual/Group Tutoring
- Student Success Workshops
What is TRiO?
The term “TRiO” was coined in the 1960s to describe three federally funded programs which emerged out of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964 and President Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty.
These three programs include Upward Bound, Talent Search, and Student Support Services. Over the years, TRiO programs have expanded and now include several additional programs. Together these programs serve and assist low-income, first-generation college students and students with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post-baccalaureate programs.
Student Support Services (SSS program) at Lee College is a TRiO program that is funded by the Department of Education to serve 140 participants. The SSS program provides opportunities for academic development and motivates students toward the successful completion of postsecondary education. The goal of SSS is to increase college retention and graduation rates of its participants and facilitate transfers to four-year universities.
Applying to the SSS program
- Complete the online application.
- Include 1040 tax return and Texas ID. (If you are 24 years old or younger, unmarried, and do not have children, you must submit a copy of your parents’ tax return or income award letter.)
- Include your permanent resident or visa, if applicable.
- Schedule an appointment for an interview.
Contact Chad Sebastien at 281.425.6500 or email email@example.com.
- Maintain a minimum of 12 hours per semester (fall and spring). Approval needed for less than 12 hours.
- Maintain satisfactory progress with a 2.0 GPA or higher and remain in good academic standing each semester.
- Actively attempt to complete an educational plan and graduate and/or transfer.
- Meet with the TRIO/SSS Advisor a minimum of two times per semester.
- Participate in a minimum of two activities each semester with the TRIO/SSS program.
Who is Eligible for TRiO SSS?
You are eligible if:
• You are a first-generation college student
Being a first-generation college student means that neither one of your parents completed a four-year college or university (bachelor’s) degree.
• You have financial need
Having financial need means that your individual or family taxable income falls below the official federal income figure determined by family size.
• You have a physical or learning disability
Having a disability means that you have a documented physical or learning disability that may affect your role as a student.
• You have academic need
Academic need includes, but is not limited to, any of the following: low college GPA, low Accuplacer test scores, earned GED, or out of school for five years or more.
Meet the Staff
Vera Walker, SSS Advisor
Chad Sebastien, Program Assistant
TRiO Student Support Services
Rundell Hall, Suite 112